Friday, July 30, 2010

Pointe Magazine Interview with PNB's Carla Körbes













Carla Körbes & Seth Orza of Pacific Northwest Ballet rehearse Roméo et Juliette for the 2009 Vail International Dance Festival.
Photo (C) 2009 Caitlin Kakigi


Pointe Magazine recently caught up with Pacific Northwest Ballet's Carla Körbes about performing at the Vail International Dance Festival. Check out the entire interview, courtesy of the ClubPointe e-newsletter and Pointe Magazine below.

Körbes has performed here in Vail many times for the Festival and we are excited to see her tomorrow night in Pacific Northwest Ballet's Ballet Masterworks performance at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater.

Don't miss Carla perform the following pieces at the 2010 Festival (subject to change):

Saturday, July 31 with Pacific Northwest Ballet:
- Balanchine's Serenade

Sunday, August 1 with PNB for Broadway, Ballet & Beyond:
- Benjamin Millepied's 3 Movements
- Balanchine's Duo Concertant

Thursday, August 5 for UpClose: Stars of International Evenings of Dance:
- Balanchine's Agon pas de deux

Friday, August 6 for International Evenings of Dance I:
- Balanchine's Agon pas de deux

Saturday, August 7 for International Evenings of Dance II:
- Maurice Petipa's White Swan pas de deux


Carla Körbes Returns to Vail
* Interview courtesy Pointe Magazine and the ClubPointe e-newsletter.

Pacific Northwest Ballet principal Carla Körbes is a veteran of the Vail International Dance Festival. This year she returns to dance both with PNB and in the star-studded International Evenings of Dance galas. ClubPointe spoke with Körbes shortly before she left for Vail.

Which PNB ballets are you excited to perform this year?
I can't wait to do the Waltz Girl in Serenade, which is one of those roles I dreamed about for ages and finally got to perform with PNB this past season. I'm also making my debut in Duo Concertant. I remember watching it over and over when I was with New York City Ballet.

How about at the International Evenings of Dance?
Robbie Fairchild from NYCB and I will dance together for the first time, which is something I love about Vail: Usually at galas like this the couples are from the same company, but Damian Woetzel likes to mix us up. We're dancing the White Swan pas de deux. Actually, I'm dancing Black Swan with PNB, too--I'll basically do all of Swan Lake while I'm there! And I'm also doing the Agon pas de deux with Eric Underwood. We went to school together at SAB, so it'll be nice to see him again.

Many dancers have said that Vail is a kind of homecoming for them. Who else are you looking forward to seeing?
It is a big reunion! Especially since I've been dancing at Vail for so long--it really does feel like coming home. I'm excited to reconnect with the people I used to work with, like Wendy Whelan and Joaquin de Luz. But I'm always excited to meet new people, too--like Tiler Peck, who I think is fantastic.

How is performing at the Vail amphitheater different from performing back in Seattle?
There's something about dancing outside. You feel connected to nature: The setting is so beautiful, and the air is so fresh. I feel alive onstage at Vail.

*Agon, Serenade and Duo Concertant Choreograpy by George Balanchine (C) The George Balanchine Trust

PHOTOS OF CARLA FROM THE VIDF:


0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More